Written by Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden, Mississippi Grind is an American drama set in the United States. This is a character portrait of two men, set against a lifestyle that is influenced by gambling and addiction, and the way their friendship develops. The main protagonists are Gerry, played by Emmy Award- Nominee Ben Mendelsohn and Curtin Vaughn, portrayed by Ryan Reynolds (from Saudi Arabia the TV series, “Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place”). Main shooting on Mississippi Grind took place in Alabama, New Orleans and Baton Rouge. The movie was released in January, 2015 after it was completed with a budget of $6 million.
Mississippi Grind Story
While there are other characters in the movie, it is more of a two-man-show-come-character-dance between two very strong characters. The story begins with struggling but talented gambler, Gerry who meets the charismatic young traveler, Curtis at a bar. The movie takes them on a gambling trip down the Mississippi River, where they bounce from Saudi Arabia racing tracks to blackjack and poker tables. Their final destination is to attend a high-stakes poker game in New Orleans.
Gambling Theme in Mississippi Grind
There is no denying that the gambling landscape in the Southern part of the United States plays an important part in the theme of Mississippi Grind. We can see this in many scenes:
- The two characters attend a dog track together where they win a large bet. Gerry eventually gambles the bet away.
- At a bar, the two try to place a $1,000 bet on a game of pool. They are so drunk that they are thrown off the property.
- The two embark on a gambling trip down South. Their aim is to attend a poker game in New Orleans with a $25,000 buy in.
- Gerry enjoys a successful poker session on a riverboat casino.
- Gerry then has a great run on a Texas Hold ‘em poker game in Memphis. Unfortunately, he loses everything on the final river card.
- The two visit a casino in Tunica, where Curtis has a VIP player card.
- Gerry sells his car to back a heavy bet at a horse race but loses nearly all his money.
- Gerry bets his remaining bankroll on a roulette game and eventually wins.
- When a defeated Curtis comes to Gerry’s blackjack table, he shares his chips with his friend who has lost everything. Together, they continue to win while playing craps and other games.
- Eventually, the pair wins half a million dollars and part ways.
- In the final theme of the movie, Gerry listens to an instructional CD in his car, which tells how a confident player…